When This Policy Applies
Our Site may contain links to third-party websites. Please note that when you click on one of those links, you are entering a separate website for which the Lupus Research Alliance has no responsibility. Your interactions with those websites are governed by their applicable privacy policies. Those policies may be different from ours and we encourage you to read them carefully.
Personal Information We Collect
The Lupus Research Alliance may collect or receive your personal information on our Site in a few different ways.
- Information You Provide To Us – When you donate to the Lupus Research Alliance, sign-up as a volunteer, choose to receive our newsletter, inquire about hosting or participating in one of our events, submit a research grant application or proposal, or sign-up for our community online forum, you may provide us with one or more categories of personal information, including your:
- Phone number;
- Mailing address;
- E-mail address; and
- Payment card information.
It is always your choice to provide us with this information. Some of this information, however, is necessary for you to participate in certain activities or events (such as to make a donation or receive our newsletter). Accordingly, if you choose not to provide the information, your ability to use certain functions of our Site, or to participate in certain activities or events, may be reduced or eliminated.
- Information We Collect Automatically When You Visit Our Site – We automatically collect certain information from you when you visit our Site, such as your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address.
- Special Categories Of Data – The Lupus Research Alliance does not intentionally collect any “special categories of data” under the EU General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), such as health or genetic data, without first obtaining your explicit consent or as otherwise allowed by law.
- Minors – This Site is not intended for minors (children under the age of 16, or the equivalent minimum age in the relevant jurisdiction) and we do not knowingly collect or process personal information from minors. By using this Site, you represent that you are not a minor. If we learn that a minor’s personal information has been collected, we will take steps to promptly delete the data from our records. If you become aware of any data that we have collected from a minor, please contact us at email@example.com.
How We Use The Personal Information We Collect
We use the personal information you provide to us to facilitate any requests, communications, or interactions you may have with our Site or the Lupus Research Alliance, including to:
- Send you information that you have expressly chosen to receive (e.g., our newsletter or information about volunteering or participating in an upcoming event); and
- Process payments in connection with any donations you make to the Lupus Research Alliance.
We may also use your personal information to pursue our legitimate interests where your rights and freedoms do not outweigh those interests. This includes to:
- Send you marketing materials via e-mail or postal mail;
- Monitor and improve the information security of our Site; and
- Improve our site and deliver customized, personalized content to you by analyzing trends, tracking users’ movement, and gathering broad demographic information for aggregate use.
We will only share and disclose your personal information outside of the Lupus Research Alliance in the following limited situations:
- Compliance With Laws. We may share your personal information with law enforcement, other government authorities, or third parties as required by applicable law, subpoena, court order or legal process served on us.
- Vital Interests and Legal Rights. We may disclose your information where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding potential violations of our policies, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person and illegal activities, or as evidence in litigation in which we are involved.
- Other Users. When you share personal information (for example, by posting comments on our community online forum that are not listed in the “private” discussion area), such information may be viewed by all users and may be publicly distributed outside of this Site.
- With Your Consent. We may disclose your personal information for any other purpose with your express consent.
How We Store And Protect Your Information
- Security – The Lupus Research Alliance goes to great lengths to protect the confidentiality and integrity of any personal information you share with us over the Internet. We treat personal data, such as credit card information, as critical assets that must be guarded at all times against loss and unauthorized access. To ensure the security of your personal information, this Site employs industry-standard security methods.
All information provided to the Lupus Research Alliance is transmitted using Secure Socket Layer (“SSL”) encryption. SSL is a proven coding system that lets your browser automatically encrypt, or scramble, data before you send it to us. We also protect your account information by placing it on a secure portion of our Site that is only accessible by certain qualified employees of the Lupus Research Alliance.
Unfortunately, however, no data transmission over the Internet is 100% secure. While we strive to protect your information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of such information.
- Retention – The Lupus Research Alliance only retains your information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose(s) for which it was collected or as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
How You Can Access and Control Your Information
You have certain rights with respect to your personal information that we process. To the extent provided by applicable laws (including the GDPR), you have the right to:
- Reject Cookies. If you do not want the Lupus Research Alliance to deploy cookies when you visit our Site, you may block cookies by activating the appropriate setting on your browser. For more information on how you can manage your cookie settings, please consult these sites according to the browser you are using:
More information about cookies, including information about deleting cookies, may be found at: http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
- Object Or Opt-Out. You may have the right to object to our processing of your personal information under certain circumstances. We will respond to your request within 30 days (although we may be allowed to extend this period in certain cases). Generally, after receiving an objection, we will cease processing your information unless we have compelling legitimate grounds to continue processing it, or where the information is needed for legal reasons.
Where we use your data for marketing purposes, you may opt-out of receiving these communications by clicking the “unsubscribe” link that typically appears at the bottom of our e-mails. You have the right to opt-out of receiving our marketing materials at any time.
- The Right To Access, Update or Modify Your Personal Information. You have the right to ask us to confirm what information we hold about you at any time. We will provide you with a copy of your personal information in a structured, commonly-used and machine-readable format upon your request. You also have the right to ask us to modify or update your personal information if it is incorrect or incomplete.
- The Right To Delete Your Personal Information: You may also ask us to delete your personal information. Your right to deletion is determined by applicable law and may impact your access to some of the services on our Site. Depending upon which laws apply to your personal information, we may refuse your request for deletion. Under those circumstances, we will explain your legal rights, the basis for our refusal, and any recourse you may have.
- The Right To Lodge A Complaint With A Supervisory Authority: If you believe that we maintain your personal data subject to the GDPR, you may direct questions or complaints to the applicable lead supervisory authority. The Lupus Research Alliance is not established in the EU. Accordingly, the relevant supervisory authority should be determined based on your location in the EU. The contact information for all supervisory authorities may be accessed here: http://ec.europa.eu/justice/article-29/structure/data-protection-authorities/index_en.htm.
How To Contact Us
Lupus Research Alliance
275 Madison Ave., 10th Floor
New York, NY 10016