Volume 4, 2011 - Online Edition | In This Issue
Leading the Way to a Cure >
Research in Action: Clinical Trial Study Offers New Hope >
Understanding Lupus: Terminology and Processes >
Faces of Lupus: A Voice for Many >
10 Reasons Why Donor Support Remains Critical >
Lupus News Corner >
10 Reasons Why Donor Support Remains Critical
- 1. Lupus is a painful disease.
- 2. It can cause serious damage to major organs, the central nervous system, and can be life threatening.
- 3. It affects people of all ages.
- 4. Nine out of 10 people with lupus are women.
- 5. Lupus is three times more common among African-American women than among Caucasian women.
- 6. 1.5 million Americans have lupus, making it more common than leukemia, muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, and cystic fibrosis.
- 7. Lupus is the leading cause of death among women with autoimmune diseases.
- 8. The exact cause of lupus is unknown.
- 9. There were no new lupus treatments in the marketplace in over 50 years.
- 10. As of yet, there is no cure.
If you would like additional information about lupus... the many ways that the ALR is working to find better treatments and ultimately a cure... or ways you can participate in our signature fundraising events Walk with Us to Cure Lupus, please visit our website www.lupusresearch.org